I'll tell you, these treatment cycles are real rollercoasters. But I'm starting to get a sense of what my calendar looks like. My experience with these first two has been something like this:
Day 1 and 2: Feeling decent, letting that chemo pump. Feels weird to be hooked up and the smaller side effects are super apparent: Can't touch or eat anything cold, jaw spasms when eating, tingles in the fingers and toes, mouth dryness, etc.
Day 3 and 4: Train Wreck. Headaches, needing lots of sleep, eating and drinking are more difficult, gut is a mess, plus the minor side effects.
Day 5-10: Each day is a little better, more energy - like maybe i can actually cook dinner on day 6! or go to the store on day 7! See a friend on day 8!
Day 11-14: Feeling worse again, though now its feeling bad from the cancer not the chemo (we hope, as the chemo fights the cancer, these days will be less bad).
Then you go back for more chemo!
In the midst of all this, we did manage to see a couple friends for lunch on Saturday AND go to the home depot to buy lightbulbs because we live in a house of dimmer switches and all our fancy bulbs have been dying all year, plummeting us unto darkness. That was my major accomplishment of the week.
We've had a few seasonal drop offs of soup, bourbon, candy corn, a tiny pumpkin, and pumpkin bread. On Sunday night, Ruth joined some friends on a festive neighborhood halloween decorations walk. As this week goes on, and I slowly rejoin the human world, I hope to be taking walks and doing chores and all around contributing more to the world. Oh, and I get my booster shot on Saturday. Woo hoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment