Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Round 3 and the CT Scan Runaround

The last time I checked in here was on day 5 after round 2 - and I was starting to feel better. I'm happy to report that the rest of that week was ALMOST normal. I felt pretty dang good all the way through my next treatment which was on 12 November.  Ruth and I saw friends, got outside a little, and cooked dinner. I helped with chores and didn't need to nap between meetings. We dropped off some things to get framed for out empty apartment walls and bought a new dresser for our office. It was almost bittersweet in its proximity to normalcy. Moments where I forget about having cancer are both the best and worst moments.

As I said, I went back for a 3rd dose on 12 November, where I got a general update that my numbers (from blood and urine) looked good and that my CT scan was "stable" - thats it. 

I eventually learned that I was right about there being a little bit of a runaround with the CT scan situation. The "emergency" CT scan from my previous post was because just about 8 weeks had passed since my last scan (the scan I had at diagnosis), and, as per the trial I'm in, I need a scan every 8 weeks.

Theres not much to see on this new scan, because I was only two treatments in, and they didn't expect to see much different.  Technically, they want me to have a scan every 8 weeks from the start of treatment, which means after treatment 4, 8, 12, etc., and I;m off schedule. All this to say, I might get another CT scan at the end of the month to get me back on the preferred schedule. Fun! Everyone loves a half day downtown for scans!

Treatment #3 has been ok! More days feeling kind of icky in the days after treatment, but not ever feeling terrible. Which I think I'll accept. Last cycle was a lot of nasty headaches and I'm happy to be rid of those. The one major negative is that yesterday and today, as I've really started to feel better and regain energy, is that I've developed some legit mouth swelling, pain and irritation. This is a known chemo symptom that I was lucky enough to miss the first couple times. The chemo drugs are pretty much burning my mouth. Its painful, and making me talk funny, and the major concern is that it will prohibit eating when I'm working hard to maintain/gain weight.  So today has been a struggle to figure out what I can comfortably eat, how to sooth/help heal it, and of course I'm worried about how long it will last.  If it persists, worsens, doesnt go away, my chemo drugs will have to be adjusted, which is a bummer. 

Aside from my mouth, things are ok :). This is very much my busy season at work, so I'm on my computer constantly. I might even start going back to the office a couple days a week to physically back boxes for the meeting I'm planning. The "new" Taylor Swift record arrived on vinyl. Ruth is working and schooling and working and schooling. Eliot has a tiny winter cold so he's making a big adventure to the vet tomorrow to get his sneezes looked at. We love more Doctor appointments around here.

We are having family over to our place for a "Thanksgiving" meal on the 20th, and visiting with friends on Turkey Day proper for brunch. My next treatment (4) is the Friday after Thanksgiving, so I'll be home that weekend watching bad holiday movies on the couch. And then maybe a surprise CT scan!

Happy holidays, all. <3

Post Script: I got my COVID booster shot! Did you?

Double Post Script: My doctor doesn't think I'll lose my hair! He said its not typical for this combo of drugs. Thinning yes, but bald no. Let's all keep our fingers crossed on that. It feels like a real win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the News That's fit to Print

 About three weeks ago we felt our village come together to support us in our pursuit of the trial offered by UW Wisconsin. My friend Amanda...